Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Soup Secrets (Try This at Home)


Not exactly secrets if I’m spilling them here? The first is a product available in stores called Better Than Bouillon. It comes in glass jars and in three flavors--chicken, beef and vegetable. (Price it in more than one store, because some places charge half again as much.) It lives up to its name. You’ll never go back to cubes or powder.

A second brand-name product (one I didn’t photograph) that makes a good soup base is Progresso Hearty Tomato. Add drained canellini, a small amount of browned sausage, sauteed mushrooms and, just before serving, fresh spinach. Or instead of beans, substitute orzo. Or use your imagination.

My third secret is lemon juice. Squeezing juice from a slice of fresh lemon into your soup makes the flavors magically come alive. This secret was Laura’s before it was mine.

Feel free to reciprocate by leaving your secrets below in the comments box.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for that. The only product I can get of the three here in the Uk are lemons. I shall try out your tip on my next culinary jaunt!

P. J. Grath said...

So you were only visiting Nova Scotia? Well, now I see that I forgot to check the spelling of those beans, but you know what I meant.