Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011

Postscript: Corrections to “Cats I Have Loved”

Again it is brought home to me that I am neither historian nor reporter, even when it comes to my own life. "If memory serves"? Well, so often it doesn't, so here are the necessary revisions to my previous post:

The opening paragraph about Greyboy and Tiger stands without correction, at least until another family member corrects me, but immediately after that things begin to go awry. Bootsy never had kittens! She did die young, and Snowball was her successor, but what follows except for the gory details of his near-death experiences, is all wrong! That is, Smokey was not the last cat, and it was not Smokey who was still sitting in the window when my son and I went back to visit. I cannot believe I forgot Penny! No, that was Penny, my little calico Penny-cat, who had the kittens under my bed. It was Penny who lived on with my parents long after I’d left home. As for Smokey, I’m pretty sure he came between Snowball and Penny, but he might have come before Bootsy, too. I forgot to ask my mother today when we were on the phone.

4 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

Well, that is quite a number of felines to keep straight. I promise not to tell the Humane Society!

P. J. Grath said...

Except for when Penny had kittens, we only had one cat at a time and, at the time, always remembered his or her name and fed them and took them to the vet, so the Humane Society couldn't fine much to pin on the family.. :)

BB-Idaho said...

We adopted a kitten named
Mikey. Had been left in a Walmart parking lot in a small cardboard box and picked up by the ASPCA.
He had uvietis on one eye, and after months of University appointments, they decided to remove it.
Mikey only wants of play fiercely, gnaws shoes and cardboard and follows me
around. Is he part dog?
Is there such a thing as
cat psychology?...:)

P. J. Grath said...

As I wrote in my original post, BB, my Betsy-cat had a lot of doggy ways. Our dog Sarah, on the other paw, has certain catlike qualities. These cross-over pets have a special charm, offering the best of both animals, IMHO. Sounds like your Mikey is appropriately grateful to you for giving him a home. He also sounds like a feisty survivor.