Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Cats I Have Loved

Greyboy probably doesn’t count. He really was my mother’s cat, brought into the house long before I was born and “made us a family,” as my father used to say. My father often had to go out surveying for several days at a time, leaving my mother alone, and she wanted a companion cat. That was in South Dakota, but the first one I remember as mine was Tiger, an Illinois acquisition. (Our family was not big on literary, historical or otherwise creative cat names in our family. Tiger was a standard-issue tiger cat.) I was a little girl and loved my cat.

Next, however, came one of my all-time top two cats, Bootsy. We got her as a kitten, when I was still in grade school, and she was a beautiful little calico. The only cat we ever had who was permitted to have kittens before being spayed, she gave birth to her litter of five under my bed. Darling Bootsy! She was a great mom, too. Pretty much a perfect cat, when Bootsy was hit by a car and died (far too young!), my mother feared I would grieve myself into the hospital.

Pretty little snow-white Snowball, her successor, did not last even as long as Bootsy. A predator in the neighborhood ended her short life while she was still a kitten, while we were on vacation, and our housesitters buried her for us. It’s a good thing I didn’t have to see that torn and lifeless body. My mother would really have had something to worry about if I had.

The last family cat before I left home and our longest-lived family cat, with my parents for many years after I was gone, was another tiger cat. Somehow I still halfway expect to find him sitting in the back hall window, but Smokey finally ran through his nine lives, some of them very dramatic. There was the time he crawled up under a neighbor’s car to take a nap on the fan belt. John drove all the way across town to work, wondering why the engine was so sluggish, and my mother let me think he had died, never imagining that the vet would manage to save his life. Another time he went out tom-cattin’ and was kept from returning home for an entire week by a blizzard and subzero temperatures. The frozen end of his tail fell off a few days after he made it back to us. Smokey finally died of old age, an important measure of success in feline life.

As a young married adult in downstate Michigan, I had a lovely little indoor cat whose name escapes me now. One of the professors in the history department at MSU kept her for me for six months while my husband and I were in New Jersey (where my son was born, though that has nothing to do with cats), and when I came back to Michigan and collected my cat, she was pregnant. We moved to Traverse City with the kittens and managed to find homes for them, but what happened to that mother cat? (Did the skunks in the garage get her?) And how can I have forgotten her name?

An old farmhouse between Gull Lake and Delton was home to the last great cat of my life so far, Bootsy’s rival for #1 cat. Betsy (the similarity in their names only coincidental) was a little nondescript tiger, looking like a zillion other cats, but her personality put her in a league of her own. Like a dog, she was physically affectionate and also liked to go for walks with us. Like a cat, she was hell on rodents (and even flies in the window). After Betsy disappeared there were a couple of kittens, and they were cute, but my heart belonged to Betsy, and cuteness was no substitute.

9 comments:

ali g said...

A lovely warm history Pamela.
Cats didn't really come into my life until I met my princess. She slept with 5 cats on her bed back then and it's from there that my love & passion for them began and carries on today. >^..^<

P. J. Grath said...

Thanks, Grahame. I got the cat e-mail from you, too, as well as this from your princess:

"Pamela, I have just read your post about cats, and what I love most about animals is not how they feel about us, but how they make us feel about them. I don't need anyone to tell me it's only cupboard love, they're just using you etc. What they do is show us that we humans are capable of getting joy out of looking after another creature without expecting any tangible reward. We mustn't be that bad after all!"

You Aussies are a bit of all right!

Lista said...

Actually, when they Purr and Rub Against your Leg, that's a Reward. When they Allow you to Pet them, that's a Reward and when they Playfully Run Around and Act Like Clowns that's a Reward too.

P. J. Grath said...

Betsy used to give me lots of "kisses," pushing her little mouth and chin up against my face. She was very sociable and also a fantastic hunter. The only time I didn't like her kisses was when she had just wound up a successful hunt.

P. J. Grath said...

Okay, my sister Deborah is setting me straight, as she so often does. The cat that had kittens under my bed was Penny. What then of Bootsy? Were both calico? And how do Penny and Bootsy figure in the order? Sorry, cats of my childhood! I don't mean to be so hazy with my memories of you!

Lista said...

I Experience Several Losses as a Child, but never did it ever Hit me so Hard as when we Lost the Most Recent of Our Dogs.

Sorry to Change the Subject to Dogs, but a Pet is a Pet, right.

Anyway, I Remember Several Losses as a Child. One I Found Dead when I Came Home from School (a German Shepherd, just died of Old Age). The Female Survivor, Brought me to him. Rather Sad.

The Other was just a Puppy (Collie). We were Playing in the living Room and the Dog Kept Running and Running and then just Fell Over and Died. The Sad Thing about that One is that I Think my Brother and I Ran the Poor Thing to Death.

Here's the Thing, though, Unless you are the Sole Care Giver, which Children Usually Aren't, the Trauma of the Loss of a Pet is Sometimes not as Severe as it is later as an Adult. When we Lost out Last Dog, Casper (Samoyed Mix), I was Truly Amazed at how Hard I Took it.

He was Actually a Cancer Survivor at Age 6 (Leukemia). A True Miracle Story. Later at Age 12, he Died of Lung Cancer. Those Extra 6 Years of Life were a True Miracle and 12 is not Really such a Bad Age in Relation to Dogs. When he Died, though, my Heart was Totally Torn in Two.

Lista said...

You Know, after Reading the Above Post Again I Remembered another Dog that Died as a Puppy. It was a Norwegian Elk Hound that my Brother Paid Good Money for. I Guess we were Teenagers by then and my Brother had a Job.

Anyway, this One got Hit By a Car while Still a Puppy. Cute Little Guy, and I sure would have Liked to have Seen him as an Adult. There aren't Many Elk Hounds Around.

That's Something, Grath, or is it Pamela, about the Cat that had all those Traumatic Nine Lives. Interesting Story.

The Only Cat that we've ever Really Owned was a Gray One that we Named Ding-a-ling and the Name Really Suited her.

P. J. Grath said...

Lista, I know what you mean about being an adult human companion and losing an old dog. It is devastating. Did you see my recent dog post on Books in Northport? Here's the address for it:
http://booksinnorthport.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-ode-to-joy.html

I still haven't sorted out Bootsy and Penny. May have to ask my mother.

Lista said...

I Just Looked at it and Eventually I'll Write a Comment, but not Today. I'm Tired.