Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Practicing Self-Denial

As everyone knows, today is Mardi Gras, the festival preceding the 40 days of Lent, but while Mardi Gras has become synonymous with orgies of self-indulgence, Lenten observances have mostly fallen by the wayside. I can’t help wondering: what is the point of a stand-alone Fat Tuesday?

“The purpose of Lent is to be a season of fasting, self-denial, Christian growth, penitence, conversion, and simplicity,” reads another site I found online. This site likens Lenten observance to a “spiritual spring cleaning.”

Even without Christian theology, a period of spring self-denial can make sense. In earlier centuries, winter stores were probably pretty low by March, and tightening belts was a way to get through until planting season. For spoiled and self-indulgent modern Americans, on the other hand, it can be as simple as a diet to shed unwanted winter pounds. What is “given up,” doesn’t have to be food, of course, but the basic idea is disciplined self-denial.

My first idea was to give up complaining for Lent, but after a few days’ reflection I realized that complaining is something I should give up, anyway, not something good to deny myself temporarily. Still, it wouldn’t be self-denial if it weren’t something tempting that has tremendous power over me. What could it be?

I’m thinking coffee. It’s a big step, but I want to take a big step. I want to clean my spirit along with my house.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Coffee? No coffee? I never got in the habit of drinking coffee...but I know that it won't be easy for someone that does. Best wishes for that...and the cleaning the house thing? Not so important at all.

P. J. Grath said...

I've gotten through two days, and considering how much I'd been drinking the two days haven't been as bad as I'd expected.