Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Leeks vs. Daffodils

The emblem of Wales is the leek, arising from an occasion when a troop of Welsh were able to distinguish each other from a troop of English enemy dressed in similar fashion by wearing leeks. An alternative emblem developed in recent years is the daffodil, used and preferred over the leek by the English government [my emphasis added] as it lacks the overtones of patriotic defiance associated with the leek.

St. David's Day meetings are not boisterous celebrations of democracy and freedom in Wales, but rather the subdued remembrance allowed a captive nation under colonial rule.

You can read more about St. David and Welsh history here. One of my friends in graduate students at the University of Illinois was Annie from Wales. I called her “the girl with the aubergine hair.” You couldn’t help but notice Annie, and I’m sure no one who ever knew her could forget her.

Annie was incensed when an undergraduate in one of the classes she taught objected to her philosophical views, calling her “too liberal.” (What was he thinking?) “I’m not liberal!” Annie informed him hotly. “I’m radical!”

I cannot imagine Annie exchanging leeks for daffodils.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

You're going to keep me busy while widening my horizons aren't you! :)

P. J. Grath said...

Married to a David and having a family of Welsh friends, I was surprised to learn about St. David and more surprised that I hadn't known before.

Shelly Francisco Walter said...

These pics are soooooo awesome..and i kept (copied her pic and pasted it) onto my weshots screen saver thing..that is such a very pretty pic of here..sitting so pretty in HER chair!! lol
was great seeing all of you the other day..we've missed u..

P. J. Grath said...

Good to see you again, too, Shelly. Jake looked positively spritely! I love the happy way his tail wags, telling us he's still enjoying life.