Search This Blog

Saturday, February 1, 2020

No Wasted Time


Years ago, when I first read Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards, I became convinced that I -- even I -- could learn to draw under the tutelage of a teacher using the methods described in the book. I was not confident enough to try to teach myself, and it was years before I heard the name Elizabeth Abeel, and several years after that that Elizabeth finally offered a summer evening class in drawing. It was wonderful! A dream come true! For a couple years, pen or pencil in hand, I was losing myself faithfully and contentedly almost every day, and the record of those happy hours is with me still, in the pages of my sketchbooks of all sizes.

Now I am getting back into that meditative practice, which is what drawing is for me. In the photograph of a sketchbook page above, the top image is called a blind contour drawing. I begin by putting my pen on the paper and then, looking up at my subject (in this case, a pine tree across the street from where our car is parked), I look only at the subject while my hand and eye simultaneously trace its outline. No looking at the paper at all. The drawing below is a modified contour drawing, and for that I took up a pencil in place of the pen. Looking is permitted with the modified contour, attention alternating between subject and paper.

The object for me is not to "make art" but to quiet the talking voice in my head, focus my attention out upon an aspect of the world, and keep my mind out, peacefully, there for a while. Working in my sketchbook while waiting in the car as the Artist visits with a friend for 30 minutes to an hour is also a way of making the most of that time.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

It does sound relaxing. I've been thinking a drawing class would be fun, but haven't found one yet.

Anonymous said...

I connect with this essay on so many levels as I have studied with Betsie and worked through Betty's books, but wish I had read it earlier in the day. Husband was gone all day with various appointments so I had the house to myself. What to do? How to spend my time? My art supplies are all packed awaiting the completion of the new studio. What did I do? I cleaned house, using the excuse that my art supplies are packed. As if there is not a piece of paper or twelve in the recycle bin and a pencil nest to the pad by the phone. Could not see the forest for the trees. Hopefully I will remember this tomorrow and the day after and the day after.