Search This Blog

Monday, October 24, 2011

Best Thing I've Overheard All Year So Far

Might as well post this little story on my most neglected blog. Here goes:

The young man was standing on the sidewalk on Waukazoo Street, not far from my bookshop door. He was talking on his cell phone. As people do when talking on their cell phones, he was speaking loudly enough that his voice carried across the street (I had crossed on my way to Tom's Market), and I could hear every word he was saying:

"Get this! You won't believe it! Lake Michigan is so big you can't see the other side!"

This made me so very happy, a big grin broke out on my face, and I was still smiling in the aisles of the grocery store.

6 comments:

BB-Idaho said...

Funny thing about those cellphones-they work like megaphones sometimes. Of course the distance to the horizon varies a bit with
the height of the viewer..read someplace that one can see both
sides of Lake Michigan from a
commercial airliner midway across.
(hearsay..don't own a cellphone and
have never flown over the Great lakes)....

P. J. Grath said...

BB, people also speak more loudly on cell phones because they're not getting any feedback of their own voice through the phone, as is the case on land lines (to which so many of us had a long time to become accustomed).

I have flown over Lake Michigan from Traverse on the diagonal between Chicago and Traverse City. One time was at night, with the moon shining on the water my whole way home. But it was night, and I didn't see both shores. Not saying one couldn't, only that I didn't.

Lista said...

I'm still Thinking of a Cell Phone Conversation that I Overheard quite some time ago, in which the Person Kept Saying, "Are you Coming to the Swim Party?" "I Love you." and "I'm Going to Slash you." It was Cute in a way, yet so Repetitious that it was Funny.

P. J. Grath said...

Weird! No offense, Lista, but I like what I overheard better this time.

Lista said...

It was Weird. I Think the Guy may have been not severely, yet just a Touch Mentally Challenged, yet they have a Place in this Life as well. Though such People are Weird, you have to Appreciate the Purity of their Bold and Unembarrassed Love for People and for Life. Too Often we Judge them and do not Realize that they are who they are and do not have the Ability to be anything else. I Smile at them in much the Same way I would Smile at a Child.

P. J. Grath said...

Good observation, Lista. The other day a retarded woman very sweetly complimented me on my hair. My hair looked awful that day, but she said I "must have a gift" for getting it to look so good. I certainly did appreciate her sweetness and willingness to reach out to a stranger in the kind way she did. Thanks for reminding me.